Friday, October 9, 2009

Case study of a real client of mine

As I stated last posting I will be showing you how a Personal Trainer works with clients with a variety of conditions. Below I start with talking about a real client of mine:

CONDITION: Stroke victim with paralysis down entire right side of body. Though facial mobility is unaffected.
AGE:
57
YEARS WITH CONDITION: 11 years
HOW LONG TRAINING WITH ME: 13 months. Two ½ hour sessions with me a week.
GOAL OF TRAINING: Range of motion and possible increased mobility.
WHAT I HAVE BEEN DOING: First I started with range of motion movements with her right side. All with the intent of breaking up frozen limb conditions. Then we moved into deep tissue massage and light Rolfing of her dead side. After about 5 months she started to “feel” in her arm and legs. What this meant was I was starting to elicit nerve regeneration. At times her arm and leg would shake uncontrollably (this is a GREAT THING) on the dead side. We started squats against a wall and other muscle building exercises to increase strength in her legs (she wears a brace on her right side that prevents movements of her ankle). I then started her on walking without her cane but with the brace on. She is now able to walk up and down 4 flights of stairs and walk 450 feet at a time without that cane. I have recently started reflexology, deep tissue massage and ankle and arch mobility range of motion on her dead side and am seeing great success as her dead side feels more and more. Recently I have been taking off her ankle brace and making her walk without it (this is a challenge) but one she is ready for. She is extremely happy with her progress – she actually requested that her husband watch our last PT session so he could see how wonderfully she is progressing. He was amazed.

I told her that she and I would ballroom dance a few dances at the gym under the lights and I have to tell you that I expect that to happen within the next 6 months.

As always - I am available for personal training either in person (if in NJ) or over the web. If you feel you have stalled in your pursuit of fitness and need some expert knowledge to get you on track reach out to me.

Regards,
Eddie Camaroto CPT
Perfect You LLC



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Eddie, I went to the Sayreville Library October 14th,They knew nothing about you having a health session.Will you be doing one at another time?

Anonymous said...

I have been following your blog,and just didn't know how to comment on it.Congratulations on being chosen as TRAINER of The Month.

Eddie said...

Sorry about forgetting to post my posponment of the Sayreville Library Fitness lecture series on here. I have posted a message on it now.

To Anonymous, Thank you for the kind words about my Trainer Of The Month. I enjoyed all the ribbing and taunts from my fellow trainers for the month.