Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Exercise Progression - Tidbits part 3

Well, two posts ago I talked about Circuit training as a pseudo type of exercise progression. Now lets talk about cross-training. It is a term thrown around quite often and I am sure you have heard it at least once.

First, lets get some definitions out of the way.

Cross Training - A method of physical training in which a variety of exercises and changes in body position or modes of exercises are utilized to positively affect compliance and motivation, and also stimulate additional strength gains or reduce injury.

Plyometrics - Exercises that maximize the myotatic(stretch) reflex to teach muscles to produce maximum force faster. Plyometrics are usually sports-specific and utilize exercises such as hops, bounds, and depth jumps; may cause overuse tendon injuries in some athletes.

Bosu ball - Stands for BOth Sides Up. this is an exercise apparatus that has a dome on one side and a flat side on the other. It is used for balance training as well as core training.

As a Personal Trainer I am frequently asked by my clients as well as my friends about cross training. They have heard the buzz about it being the panacea for their stalled exercise routines.

I do not believe that most people need to cross train if they are already exercising smart. If you are already utilizing the flexibility ball, or a bosu ball you really are doing at least one part of a cross training program (see definintion above). If you are incorporating a walking, swimming, or raquet type sport once in a while in your program you are also cross training (http://personal-trainer-nj.blogspot.com/2008/06/exercise-progression-exercise-systems.html). So, if you have been reading my posts and trying some of my suggestions - then you are already cross training and I bet you did not even realize it. If you keep variety in your routines you will excel at reaching your goals - smartly and without all the hype of cross training.

Now let me tell you where I believe cross training is warranted. Lets take a real world example: If I have a client that is a professional tennis player and she wants to vamp up her peformance, my tone about cross training changes. I would need to structure her exercise routine quite differently - here is how I would train her:

1) I would still have her do a regular exercise program utilizing weights, cardio, flexibility, and core training using different exercise apparatus such as Bosu, flexibility ball, and Plyometrics movements.
2) In addition I would analyze her movements she performs for her vocation. Since she is a tennis player I would note that she sprints for the ball, twists her body in rapid fashion to serve or return the ball, and needs to maintain exceptional posture through all of these movements to maximize power.
3) I would incorporate alot of cross training for this individual because her vocation demands it for optimal performance.

Okay so lets address what I would have her do - in a cross training mode.

1) She needs to do wind sprints to improve her time to get to the ball.
2) She needs to work on instability because she never knows what angle the ball is going to be coming from and she needs to be able to work her body in unstable environments.
3) She needs a strong core because a strong core allows the upper body to maximize power from the lower body and the core muscles facilitate that.
4) She needs to do some swimming exercises to get those shoulders working in different motions.
5) She needs to do some jogging or intense cardio to boost her cardiovascular system to be able to last through the matches.

As you can see I am utilizing many modes of exercises to train her for maximal performance. And that is the definition of cross training - training at different angles and different modes(types) of exercise to maximize gains.

Yes, cross training does have a place in some people's routines but if you are not training for a sports specific goal I personally would try to steer you away from it. A sound exercise program already addresses much of what a cross training program gives you.

I am sure this topic might spurn some debate and I look forward to your rebuttals.

As always - I am available for personal training either in person (if in NJ) or over the web. My rates are $75.00 per hour for in-person training and $25.00 per hour for email personal training. If you feel you have stalled in your pursuit of fitness and need some expert knowledge to get you on track reach out to me.

Regards,

Eddie Camaroto CPT

No comments: