Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Formulas correction

To all, One (very smart) subscriber has pointed out that I forgot to include some important information in a post. To which I thank them for.

In the post (http://personal-trainer-nj.blogspot.com/2008/06/i-love-formulas-especially-ones-that-i.html) I forgot to mention that after you do the simplified formula for your predicted heart rate maximum (220 - age) you need to do two more calculations. I did mention these calculations for the Karvonen formula but forgot to include it in the simplified formula. So here is the correction:

Using me as an example:
I am 40 years old
I weight 160 pounds
My resting heart rate is 80(bad I know - I really need more cardio training).
Training heart rate = 220 - 40 or target heart rate = 180. So when I train on cardio machines I should not go over this maximum.

When you use the simplified formula of 220 - age you also need to add what intensity you wish to train at. For most fit individuals that would be 60% to 85%. So using my maximum heart rate of 180 I would do the following calculations:

180 * .60 or 108 for the low end range

180 * .85 or 153 for the high end range

The number of 180 signifies that you should never exceed this number or you present a high risk to your cardiovascular system should you have a heart condition or for that matter a yet to be revealed issue. I really should be training in the range above to maximize my workouts. With the goal of trying to be as close to the high range as I can be.

I hope this makes it more clear about what I was saying. I would stress that you should use the Karvonen formula that was also mentioned in my post (http://personal-trainer-nj.blogspot.com/2008/06/i-love-formulas-especially-ones-that-i.html).

Regards,

Eddie Camaroto CPT

No comments: