Monday, June 30, 2008

Shoulder flexibility test

When I am presented with a new client I go through a series of tests and assessments to see what my client is capable of. Based on tests and questionnaires I can get a pretty accurate picture on how to design a program that they will benefit from and not pose a risk to their health or risk injury. During the next couple of days I will write about the flexibility tests that I personally administer to assess my clients capabilities. I will then share some thoughts about what modifications I would make to their program design based on each assessment.

Try each test yourself and see just where your abilities lie.

Shoulder Assessment:
Sit or stand and place your right arm straight up, let the elbow bend so the hand comes to rest, palms down, between the shoulder blades. You should then reach back with the left arm so the palm is up. Attempt to touch hands.

Then reverse the procedure and test the opposite shoulder. If one or both shoulders fail then you fail.

If your fingertips are able to touch you have good shoulder flexibility.

If your fingertips are not touching but are less than two inches apart you have fair shoulder flexibility.

If your fingertips are more than two inches apart then you have poor shoulder flexibility.

One other shoulder flexibility assessment I do is have my client lie on his or her back with knees bent, back flat, and arms overhead. Adequate flexibility is demonstrated if the arms lie flat overhead. If the arms do not lie flat, a shortness in the pectoralis major(pecs), teres major(connects to the pecs and shoulder), and latissimus dorsi(lats) is indicated.

If my client has poor flexibility this tells me that it is VITAL to institute a flexibility program to stretch those muscles to a point where they exhibit good flexibility. I would lay off any shoulder and chest exercises till they can demonstrate adequate range of motion. Why? Because they would be risking injury and get limited benefits from anything I had them do that utilized those muscles. I could get their flexibility back within 3-4 weeks and it would be well worth the wait.

Where does your shoulder flexibility lie? If you fail these tests reach out to me about what stretches could increase your flexibility and range of motion. If you neglect to stretch your shoulder muscles you risk serious shoulder injuries - especially to your rotator cuff. If you injure your rotator cuff you will be left with pain - possibly for the rest of your life. Be smart.

As always - I am available for personal training either in person (if in NJ) or over the web. My rates are $75.00 per hour for in-person training and $25.00 per hour for email personal training. If you feel you have stalled in your pursuit of fitness and need some expert knowledge to get you on track reach out to me.

Regards,

Eddie Camaroto CPT

No comments: