Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Exercise Progression - Tidbits part 4

Hello, I think I will have covered alot of different methods to progress a stalled exercise routine. Tomorrow we will move on to a new theme. But there a few more exercise progressions I wanted to talk about.

First, lets get some definitions out of the way.

Pyramid Training system - a multiple-set system in which the weight is increased progressively over several sets so that fewer and fewer repetitions can be performed.

Single-set system(also known as High-intensity training system ) consists of performing a single set of a predetermined number of repetitions until deliberate fatigue.

Pre-Exhaustion system - consists of performing successive sets of two different exercises for the same target muscle or muscle group. An example would be doing a bench press to fatigue and then doing dumbbell flys to fatigue. Can be done with multiple sets but is generally only done with one set per muscle or muscle group.

Assisted Training system - This method requires the assistance of another individual who, after several repetitions of an exercise to deliberate fatigue, can provide just enough assistance to allow the lifter to complete 3 to 5 additional repetitions. Caution this system is not for the beginner or deconditioned participant.

Tempo based training system - This system changes the amount of time an exercise is done in one or more of the three contraction phases; Concentric, Eccentric, Isometric. A tempo of 4/2/2 in a barbell bicep curl means that you lift the weight towards you(Concentric contraction) and you make it take 2 seconds(4/2/2), then you hold it for 2 seconds(Isometric contraction - 4/2/2), then take 4 seconds to return it to the starting position(Eccentric contraction - 4/2/2).

Recovery systems - Basically taking time off in measured amounts to increase endurance and strength. In most cases you will come back even stronger then if you did not take the time off.

Lets talk a little about each. The definitions I provided should be enough but let me add a little more understanding to each.

Pyramid-Training system - I personally use this one alot in my workouts and it provides a real blast to your muscles. I have used this system when I have become stalled at a weight and not been able to increase it.
Example:
You are currently doing 3 sets of a dumbbell bicep curl at 30 pounds. You are doing 10 reps per set. You are able to do the first set at 10 reps, the second set at 9 reps, and the third set at 4 reps. You have noticed that for the last few weeks you have not been able to get the 3rd set reps up. Well, based on the Pyramid-Training system you would do the following:
1st set 30 pounds / 10 reps
2nd set 35 pounds /6 reps
3rd set 40 pounds / 3 reps

Single-set system - Simply put, match a predetermined weight that you will lift for a predetermined amount of repetitions.
Example:
You currently do 3 sets of 10 repetitions with 60 pounds for a barbell curl. The first set you can do 10 reps no problem. Utilizing the Single-set system you would do the following:
1 set of 10 reps(if you can) with a weight of 80 pounds. When 80 pounds becomes easy you would boost it to 100 and so on.

Pre-Exhaustion system - I believe my definition says it all. If you have any questions on this system just reach out to me.

Assisted training system - I utilize this system alot with my son(due to school and other commitments he only has one day a week to train and I want to maximize every exercise the best I can). If you workout with a partner this is a great way to fast track your progress. I do caution you that it causes alot of muscle soreness and discomfort and should never be done if you are a beginner or deconditioned.

Tempo based training system. The way you should go about this exercise is experimentation. If you remember a previous post http://personal-trainer-nj.blogspot.com/2008/06/exercise-progression-tidbits.html this system is really a boosted up Eccentric training system. I cannot give you an example of this because this type of system really requires I view your lifting style to formulate a proper tempo. But if you experiment a little you should start to get a feel for your correct tempo range and build up your muscle mass. A normal tempo rate of 2/1/2 is generally what I see most clients do so you can work from there.

Recovery training systems - When I train clients I generally like to have them take off 1 week every 4 to 6. I know it sounds wrong and you may say I will loose gains. But the reality is your muscles will thank you, heal, and become even stronger because of your time off. I must stress that this just applies to weight training - NOT cardio (you still need to do that at least 5 times a week).

Well that ends my theme of exercise progressions. I hope I have given you relevant knowledge and you take that knowledge into the gym and try them. If you have any questions please reach out to me. This blog is about helping you become the "Perfect You".

Note: These exercise systems I made mention of in this post are not meant to be done every day. The should be viewed as additions to your normal workout that are done once in a while to boost your goals. Doing these systems everyday could cause a negative affect and actually stall your gains. Train smart.

As always - I am available for personal training either in person (if in NJ) or over the web. My rates are $75.00 per hour for in-person training and $25.00 per hour for email personal training. If you feel you have stalled in your pursuit of fitness and need some expert knowledge to get you on track reach out to me.

Regards,

Eddie Camaroto CPT

No comments: