Thursday, June 19, 2008

Next post theme - formulas

Okay, we are all experts on exercise progressions right? Great, now lets have some fun with formulas. For the next couple of weeks I will post a new formula, daily, for you to utilize in some way at the gym. Do not worry - these are FUN formulas. You are going to learn so much about your personal performance, your abilities, and what your unique body is capable of.

If you would not mind send me your results for each formula so I can start tailoring my posts to your unique needs.

Okay lets start with an easy one most everyone has heard from time to time.

First, lets get some definitions out of the way.

BMI (imperial formula not the metric one) - Measure of the relationship between height and weight; calculated by dividing the weight in pounds times 703 by height in inches squared. BMI stands for Body Mass Index. It is an imperfect model due to the fact that it does not take into account a persons frame and build. I will discuss more about this below.

Example: (using my stats as a guide)
I weigh 160
I am 5' 6" (or 66 inches)
So the formula with data would be: (160 * 703) / (66 * 66) or 112480 / 4356 = 25.82 or 26 if you round up.

The BMI table for reference is:

Below 18.5 Underweight
18.5 -24.9 Normal
25 - 29.9 Overweight
30 & Above Obese

So if I believe the BMI tables I would be labeled overweight. Which I know that I am not. My body consists of 15.2 percent body fat. Clearly not 26.

The general body-fat percentage categories (from page 188 of the ACE Personal Trainer Manual 3rd edition) are listed below: (You may find different numbers depending on what source you use.)

Classification Woman (% fat) Men (% fat)
Essential fat****10 - 13%*********2 - 5%
Athletes*******14 - 20%*********6 - 13%
Fitness********21 - 24%*********14 - 17%
Average*******25 - 31%*********18 - 24%
Obese*********32% or higher****25% or higher

Using this standard I would be considered in the fit category. So why so much difference in the numbers? You might ask yourself why even bother utilizing the BMI formula. Well, for some people it would be accurate others it would not.

If you are have an average frame, do not workout, and are basically a sedentary individual with no chronic diseases, and not taking any medications that might cause weight gain as a side effect then BMI will be a pretty good estimation of your body fat percentage. But if you workout regularly or are an athlete then BMI will not give you an accurate picture. Why is this? Well, if one trains with weights they have reduced their fat and have gained muscle. But a pound of muscle weights the same as a pound of fat. So the BMI calculation would not take this into account.

But if your goal is trying to lose weight then I would say utilize the BMI calculation to see your progress even if it is not an accurate picture it will still show progress you have made. I will be posting much better formulas to assess what your real body fat percentage is but do not be afraid to use BMI. Just realize it's limitations.

As always - I am available for personal training either in person (if in NJ) or over the web. My rates are $75.00 per hour for in-person training and $25.00 per hour for email personal training. If you feel you have stalled in your pursuit of fitness and need some expert knowledge to get you on track reach out to me.

Regards,

Eddie Camaroto CPT

2 comments:

Rose said...

Thank you for this great information. I am having trouble loosing 30 lbs. I go to the gym 4-6 times a week and eat a healthy diet- what else can I do? Thank you!

Eddie said...

Rose, First do not despair. In almost all cases one can lose weight but sometimes it is hard to find the right combination of things to make it happen. And to complicate matters worse what works for someone will not work for another. Everyone is unique in their makeup.

Lets start by seeing why you believe you cannot lose the weight.

Write back to me with your answer and lets start cracking this mystery.

Don't despair. I am here for you.

Regards,

Eddie Camaroto CPT